In this series of posts I am spotlighting the sessions and speakers in the 3-day (English speaking) MWL track that will take place at LearnTec in Karlsruhe, Germany 29-31 January 2019 (LearnTec is Europe’s No. 1 trade show and congress focusing on digital learning.)
In the afternoon of Thursday 31 January, the final session will be focused on L&D in the modern workplace and I very pleased that we have two great speakers in that session plus an open fishbowl discussion.
2.30-3.15 pm: Andrew Jacobs will be talking about Managing L&D on a limited budget. In this session he will
- give you the opportunity to understand how to gain maximum value for nil/neutral cost resources – provide space to consider what you need as well as resource
- help you discover why your learning strategy might be wrong, and
- show you a new way of designing your L&D support
Andrew is the Learning and Development Transformation lead for HMRC. A recognised leader in learning, he is known for innovative thinking about learning, training and technology. Andrew has significant experience in a range of roles across learning, training and people development. This experience has been established in a range of industries in both the public and private sector. He has specific understanding of developing online and digital solutions for learning, social profile and engagement. He is a Fellow of the Learning & Performance Institute (LPI).
3.30-4.15 pm: The second speaker in this session will be Lizzie Rhodes James. Her topic is Is your team ready for the future? Building a superb L&D team that helps organisations to achieve ongoing success
In this session Lizzie will offer positive models and practical tools that people can use:
- to build superb teams that focus on their purpose, principles and picture of success and that build on people’s strengths and co-ordinate their talents to achieve the goals
- to manage and get the best from knowledge workers, and ensure employees demonstrate the Four C’s involved in 21st Century Skills: Critical Thinking, Creativity, Collaboration and Communication
- to build teams that manage by outcomes – rather than by tasks – and achieve their picture of success.
The session will provide real life examples of how teams have followed these principles, and provide practical tools that people can use to enable their own teams to achieve ongoing success.
Lizzie is a Leadership and Team Coach. Lizzie enables people, teams and organisations to achieve ongoing success. A renowned enthusiast and adventurer, she is curious about what brings optimum performance and leadership. Lizzie has over 15 years experience working in a mix of organisations from enterprises like Microsoft, small and medium sized enterprises to leading in high pressured environments in the army. During this time she has built and maintained talent, leaders and teams, through setting up and delivering people programs, coached talent and acted as a people consultant.
4.15-5.00 pm: The final session of the MWL track will be an Open Fishbowl discussion on the topic: How do we help our organisations break out of the traditional training mindset and embrace a new world of workplace learning?
In an Open Fishbowl discussion, four or five chairs are arranged in an inner circle. This is the fishbowl. The remaining chairs are arranged in concentric circles outside the fishbowl. Selected participants will fill the fishbowl while the rest of the group sit on the chairs outside the fishbowl. In an open fishbowl, one chair is left empty. any member of the audience can, at any time, occupy the empty chair and join the fishbowl.
Charles Jennings will facilitate the Open Fishbowl, and participants will include: Harold Jarche, Clark Quinn, Jane Hart and others.
You can find the overview of the 3-day MWL track HERE. The full programme with details of all the tracks in the 27th LearnTec Congress is available to download (as a PDF) HERE. Early bird tickets are available HERE.
I look forward to seeing you in Karlsruhe in 2019.
Latest posts by Jane Hart (see all)
- A Professional’s Guide to Modern Learning - 18 December 2018
- The role of the Modern Learning Advisor in today’s workplace - 11 December 2018
- Modern Workplace Learning 2019 - 4 December 2018
- Spotlighting the “L&D in the modern workplace” session in the MWL track at LearnTec 2019 - 29 November 2018
- Spotlighting the “How to work with managers to enable learning in the daily work” session in the MWL track at LearnTec 2019 - 27 November 2018