“News and articles about Modern Workplace Learning (MWL) selected by Jane Hart for the week 24-30 September 2017
Article of the Week
“I hire smart people and get out of their way”. Lee Iacocca. “Tell people what you need, NOT what to do.” Peter Drucker Oleg Vishnepolsky, 20 September 2017
“Peter Drucker said: “Knowledge Workers are people who know more about what they are doing than their boss does.”
Barry Appelman: “Do not keep smart people on a tight leash”.
Simon Sinek: “When we tell people to do their jobs, we get workers. When we trust people to get the job done, we get leaders.”
From around the Web
Researchers have managed to connect a human brain to the internet, World Economic Forum, 26 September 2017
“Researchers from Wits University have linked a brain directly to the internet. Data gathered from this project could help fuel the next steps in machine learning and brain-computer interfaces.”
“The ‘sage-on-stage’ versus ‘guide-on-the-side’ is a useful concept to look at what is going on there. A ‘sage on stage’ is an instructor who lectures almost exclusively, who has the philosophy that s/he has knowledge to ‘give’ learners who would benefit from this. On the other hand, a ‘guide on the side’ is a facilitator who helps learners discover knowledge and steer them in ways that would help them.”
9 October – 3 November 2017
Although “social learning” has become the latest industry buzzword, it is not just about making people interact in courses, but helping teams and groups learn together as they work together, and facilitating learning across the organisation. This is modern social learning. In this 4-week online workshop we look at how to help managers build a successful and effective social team, how to guide social learning experiences, as well as ways to foster networked learning across the organisation.
30 Day Learning Challenges
The 30 day Learning Challenges are now available in two formats: as a daily email programme OR a downloadable Taskbooks.
The 5 Learning Challenges – suitable for anyone to become a continuous independent modern professional learner – are:
- Learn something new everyday – This Challenge will help you build a habit of learning something new every day.
- Get the most out of your daily work – This Challenge will help you get the most out of your day job so that you can benefit from your everyday work activities.
- Keep up to date with your industry or profession – This Challenge will focus on a variety of digital ways to help you keep up to date in your industry or profession.
- Manage your own self-development – This Challenge will help you develop the habit of organising and managing your own self-development.
- Grow your professional network – This Challenge will help you build from scratch and/or enhance your existing professional network.
Director, Centre for Modern Workplace Learning
You may copy, print or forward all or part of this Newsletter to others as long as any use is not for resale or profit and I am attributed.