News and articles about Modern Workplace Learning (MWL) selected by Jane Hart for the week 17-23 September 2017
From around the Web
Digital Disruption is a people problem Sloan Management Review, 18 September 2017
“The true key problem facing organizations with respect to digital disruption is people — specifically, the different rates at which people, organizations, and policy respond to technological advances. Technology changes faster than individuals can adopt it, individuals adapt more quickly to that change than organizations can, and organizations adjust more quickly than legal and societal institutions can ..”
8 takeaways from our new report on AI, Robotics and Automation RSA, 20 September 2017
“This week the RSA publishes a new report looking at the potential impact of artificial intelligence and robotics on the workforce. What are these technologies? Will they lead to the mass automation of jobs? How are employers making use of them? And how can society prepare for a new machine age, in whatever form it comes? Here are 8 key takeaways from the study.”
How to future-proof your brain for your entire career Fast Company, 19 September 2017
“Neuroscientist Tara Swart says that, cognitively speaking, you really canteach an old dog new tricks. Here’s her take on how “to keep your brain plastic and flexible” between the ages of 25 and 65.”
9 October – 3 November 2017
Although “social learning” has become the latest industry buzzword, it is not just about making people interact in courses, but helping teams and groups learn together as they work together, and facilitating learning across the organisation. This is modern social learning. In this 4-week online workshop we look at how to help managers build a successful and effective social team, how to guide social learning experiences, as well as ways to foster networked learning across the organisation.
30 Day Learning Challenges
The 30 day Learning Challenges are now available in two formats:
- As a daily email programme which you can sign up to at any time. The daily email will keep you on track and point you to the daily task online, where you can share you thoughts on the daily task with others.There is also guidance and support available if required. Cost: £49
- As a downloadable Taskbook containing all the tasks in a PDF so that you can work through them privately and at you own pace (i.e. quicker or longer than 30 days). Cost: £9.99
The 5 Learning Challenges – suitable for anyone to become a continuous independent modern learner – are:
- Learn something new every day – This Challenge will help you build a habit of learning something new every day.
- Get the most out of your daily work – This Challenge will help you get the most out of your day job so that you can benefit from your everyday work activities.
- Keep up to date with your industry or profession – This Challenge will focus on a variety of digital ways to help you keep up to date in your industry or profession.
- Manage your own self-development – This Challenge will help you develop the habit of organising and managing your own self-development.
- Grow your professional network – This Challenge will help you build from scratch and/or enhance your existing professional network.
Director, Centre for Modern Workplace Learning
You may copy, print or forward all or part of this Newsletter to others as long as any use is not for resale or profit and I am attributed.