Modern Workplace Learning (MWL) is a new approach for L&D departments to enable and support learning in today’s workplace. It doesn’t just mean providing modern training, but also involves supporting manager-led learning (where individuals and teams learn from their daily work) as well as empowering employee-led learning (i.e. enabling individuals to take on more responsibility for their own continuous self-development).
MWL means doing things differently and doing different things, so whereas part of the MWL Professional Programme will consider how to design modern content and learning experiences it also focuses on moving away from the traditional mindset that all learning has to be designed by L&D for employees, by exposing Programme participants to a range of new approaches to workplace learning. The Programme is therefore suitable for both learning leaders as well as practitioners, designers, developers, trainers and facilitators as well as others who would like to enable and support learning at and for work in new ways.
The MWL Professional Programme is available (on demand) as a private programme for an organisational team or group or an open public programme that anyone can join. The two options are described below.
Private MWL Professional Programme
The private programme is suitable for a team or group from the same organisation, and takes place over 12 weeks structured into 5 main parts as follows. The private programme can be set up an organisation at any time.
Part 1: Getting started
- Introduction to the Programme and Introduction to Modern Workplace Learning (MWL)
Part 2: Designing modern learning experiences
- Curating or creating content
- Facilitating social and collaborative learning
- Running learning campaigns
Part 3: Supporting manager-led learning
- Working with managers to build the new mindset
- Helping individuals learn from work
- Supporting social teams and communities
- Facilitating collaborative problem-solving workshops
Part 4: Empowering employees
- Nurturing learnability and developing modern professional learning skills
- Supporting self-organised professional development
- Coordinating networking events
Part 5: Implementing Modern Workplace Learning
- Implications of MWL approaches and Review of the Programme.
The Programme is not a traditional training course; it models a more flexible approach that Modern Workplace Learning espouses. Each week I release a series of activities and practical tasks that an individual can work on in their own time during the week. This means that participants can fit the Programme into their working lives rather than the other way round. The activities are based around readings from my book, Learning in the Modern Workplace 2017 – and every participant will receive a PDF copy – and these should take around 2-3 hours to work through. However, participants can, of course, spend more time on them if they wish to read around the topic.
Social learning experience
The Programme is primarily a social learning experience so participants are encouraged to share their thinking and work with the rest of the group. However, they will not be forced to contribute every week, since this only leads to the group becoming overwhelmed with posts from people who are simply posting stuff because they have to!
The Programme will be hosted in a social platform. I can either set up a private group space in my Yammer platform – or I can work in a private group space on your own Yammer (or other ESN) platform. Once again, the rationale for this is to show that formally-organised programmes are ideally hosted (and integrated within) a work-based platform rather than on a separate learning platform.
Review and Certification
A key part of the MWL ethos is that it is important not to equate (social) activity with learning, so the only requirement of a participant will be to complete a final activity that shows what they have learned from the Programme. This will take the form of a Review of what the Programme means for them and their job, what opportunities they would like to follow up on, how they can can start to put MWL approaches into practice straight away, and what they would like to do differently. This Review will provide your organisation with a lot of useful information to guide your strategic thinking for the future. Participants who complete the Review will receive a Certificate of Completion.
Want to find out more?
The cost of running a programme for your team depends on the number of people on the progamme. Email Jane.Hart@C4LPT.co.uk to discuss this option further.
Public MWL Professional Programme
The public programme involves participation in 4 main public workshops (and takes place over 14 weeks). These workshops can be taken in any order – so this means you can sign up to the Programme at any time.
- Introduction to MWL
- Modernising training
- Supporting manager-led learning
- Empowering employee-led learning
The Programme is not a traditional training course; it models a more flexible approach that Modern Workplace Learning espouses. Each week I release a series of activities and practical tasks that you can work on in your own time during the week. This means that you can fit the Programme into your working life rather than the other way round. The activities are based around readings from my book, Learning in the Modern Workplace 2017 – and you will receive a PDF copy. These activities should take around 2-3 hours to work through. However, you can, of course, spend more time on them if you wish to read around the topic.
Connect – Share -Learn
The Programme is primarily a social learning experience (hosted on my Yammer platform) so you are encouraged to share your thinking and work with the others in the workshops.
Certificate of Completion
A key part of the MWL ethos is that it is important not to equate (social) activity with learning, so your only requirement, if you wish to receive a Certificate of Completion, is to complete a final activity. This will take the form of a Review of what the Programme means for you and your job, and how you will start to put MWL approaches into practice straight away, and what they would like to do differently.
MWL Professional Programme fee is £199 .
Here are payment instructions if you would like to pay by credit card or PayPal
- Click HERE to pay £199
- Either Sign in to you PayPal account OR Check out as Guest to pay by credit card. Complete the form with your credit card details. You will also receive a payment receipt. Note: our merchant name is Tesserae Ltd, and this is the name that will appear on your credit card statement.
- Where there is more than one participant, please provide the name and email address of each participant in the Instructions to Merchant.
- Click Return to Tesserae Ltd to return to this site.
- You will then receive an email from us with your joining details.
- If you do not receive the email within 24 hours, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you prefer to pay by inter-bank transfer this incurs an additional £25 admin fee. Contact Jane.Hart@C4LPT.co.uk for further details.
Latest posts by Jane Hart (see all)
- How does the role of the L&D department need to change? - 20 March 2017
- The Modern Workplace Learning Professional Programme - 13 March 2017
- What does it mean to transform workplace learning? - 9 March 2017
- Gamification is like Marmite. Love it or hate it - 6 March 2017
- L&D’s biggest challenge and greatest opportunity: letting go - 2 March 2017