Based on the Top 100 Tools for Personal & Professional Learning 2017 list, here is the Modern Professional Learner’s Toolkit 2018.
These are the key tools it contains . Of course you won’t have to have them all – but perhaps at least one or two from each category.
- A favourite web browser and search engine – to make the most of the Web [Chrome, Firefox, Google Search]
- A set of trusted web resources for problem-solving, discovery and inspiration [YouTube, Wikipedia, Slideshare, TED, Stitcher, Blinkist, Vimeo]
- A number of news and curation tools – to keep abreast with new resources, as well as store and sharing what they find [Feedly, Pocket, Google Alerts, Nuzzel, Flipboard, Pinterest, Diigo, Scoopit]
- Favourite web course platforms – to acquire new knowledge and skills in a formal way [Coursera, Lynda, edX, Alison, Udemy, FutureLearn]
- A range of social networks – to build a diverse professional network of external colleagues (aka personal learning network – pln) [Twitter/TweetDeck, LinkedIn, Facebook, Google+, Instagram, Hootsuite]
- A Personal Information System – to record, store and make sense of experiences, web clippings, experiences and ideas, as well as track their own professional development [Evernote, OneNote, PebblePad]
- A blogging or website tool – to share ideas and thinking, and promote themselves more publically [WordPress, Blogger, Wix]
- A variety of productivity tools and apps – to help them work effectively [IFTTT, Google Calendar, Google Maps, Grammarly, Hemingway]
- A preferred office suite – to create documents, presentations and spreadsheets [Microsoft Word/PowerPoint/Excel, Google Docs/Slides/Sheets, Apple Pages/ Keynote]
- A range of communication and collaboration tools – to interact, share and learn with others in different ways [Outlook, Gmail, Skype, WhatsApp, Zoom, Google Drive, Dropbox, Slack, Microsoft Teams, Yammer]
- 1 or more smart devices – for ubiquitous access to content and people [iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch]
Want to find out how Modern Professionals are using these tools?
Get a copy of How to become a Modern Professional Learner.